In the early 1950s, the city of Denver was rapidly expanding with suburbs in all directions. The Mission Board of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod sought land for a new congregation to meet the needs of this growing area. The only parcel available in southeast Denver was a 4.5 acre plot located on what is now the corner of E. Eastman Ave. and S. Dahlia St.  The plot was bare, except for the old Osner dairy barn, erected in 1884.

The barn was renovated to include a sanctuary upstairs and a fellowship area with classrooms downstairs. On September 7, 1952, 450 people gathered to dedicate the building to the Lord and install the first pastor. The next years saw tremendous growth from the  neighborhood—baptisms, marriages, and confirmation classes commenced. The first Vacation Bible School hosted 222 children. In the fall of 1954, the congregation began a Lutheran grade school with a kindergarten class of 26 students. The next several decades were blessed with a growing school and many pastors and teachers faithfully serving in ministry.

In 1987, The congregation marked its 35th anniversary and dedicated a multipurpose building which doubled as a sanctuary and a gymnasium for the school.  In 1992 an expansion included a new childcare facility.

In 2007, after 54 years of faithful ministry, the school closed due to declining enrollment.  The congregation remains a strong supporter of Lutheran education by weekly educating our children, offering Vacation Bible School each year, and supporting the surrounding Lutheran Schools.  Last year, in conjunction with the 500th anniversary of the Lutheran Reformation, we celebrated 65 years in ministry. The west side of our property was recently sold to the Rise School of Denver, who had been tenants since 2005.  We are eagerly entering into the building process to remodel the original building, that historic dairy barn, to suit the needs of our current congregation.

We continue to gather weekly with grateful hearts, receiving the Lord’s blessings in worship, growing in faith together, and serving the University Hills neighborhood as we are able.         

The original sanctuary, renovated from a 19th century dairy barn.

The original sanctuary, renovated from a 19th century dairy barn.

“A nursery in the old milk cooling room...Sunday school assembly where the stanchions and cows used to be...the congregation gathering for worship in what was once the hayloft...Looking at the present structure, one would not be aware that [it is a former dairy barn.] The building is magnificent in its impression of structural strength; and the impression reflects what is really there.”
— Denver Lutheran Forum, 1968
The first Sunday School, 1953.

The first Sunday School, 1953.

The multi-purpose building and current sanctuary, dedicated 1992.

The multi-purpose building and current sanctuary, dedicated 1992.

Current sanctuary, Easter Season 2018.

Current sanctuary, Easter Season 2018.

Vacation Bible School, 2018.

Vacation Bible School, 2018.